City of Everett WA, Planner
The City of Everett is accepting applications on an open/competitive basis for the Civil Service examination process for a PLANNER.
This position will provide many opportunities for planners to work on exciting plans and projects. Projects include extension of light rail transit to downtown Everett, light rail station area planning, downtown redevelopment, corridor planning, waterfront industry, urban infill housing, and a major update to our comprehensive plan. Everett is the “metropolitan city” within Snohomish County, and located about 25 miles north of Seattle, in the beautiful and fast-growing Puget Sound region. Everett is a major employment center (Boeing, Naval Station Everett, health care, tech companies, higher education). Come join a great team in a supportive city government to take on challenging yet rewarding professional planning work.
This is senior level professional work in urban planning. Employees in this class exercise originality, independence, and judgment in preparing and developing portions of the comprehensive plan or in project reviews. The work involves conducting studies, assembling and analyzing socio-economic data, and preparing proposals regarding future development and redevelopment in the City. Successful completion of work requires the application of specialized knowledge and skills in urban planning to the problems of the City and its environs. Employees in this class are expected to perform highly responsible assignments with limited supervision and may coordinate the work of other employees in relation to these assignments. The work is performed with considerable independent judgment and action within the scope of department programs and policies. The work includes preparing and making public presentations on planning issues before public bodies, including, but not limited to, the Hearing Examiner, Planning Commission, and City Council. The work is performed under the supervision of the Planning Director or designee, and is reviewed by observation and through evaluations of reports and projects and on the basis of other established performance criteria.
For a full description of this position, please see the class specification on the City’s website.
- Graduation from a recognized four-year college or university with a degree in urban planning, architecture, public administration, environmental science or related field, AND
- Six (6) years of experience in city or regional planning, community development, zoning administration, or closely related field; OR
- Any combination of education and experience sufficient to provide the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities. One year of graduate study in city planning or closely related field can be substituted for one year of experience.
HOW TO APPLY
- Application materials may be accessed via http://www.everettwa.gov/careers.
- All applicants are required to complete and submit the following:
- The standard City of Everett Application Form.
- The PLANNER supplemental questionnaire.
- Applications must be submitted through the City’s online application system by 5:00 p.m. on February 21, 2020 to be considered.
- LATE, INCOMPLETE, FAXED, OR EMAILED APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
- Responses to the supplemental questionnaire will be individually reviewed and evaluated (weighted 30%).
- Top-scoring applicants will be called to an oral panel evaluation (weighted 70%), tentatively scheduled for March 11, 2020.
- All vacancies in this job class will be filled from the ranked Civil Service register established from the examination process for 12
- A passing grade of 70.00 or higher is required on all parts of the screening process for placement on the ranked Civil Service eligible register.
- The examination process is designed to sample and measure the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Applicants claiming veterans’ preference points in accordance with RCW 41.04.010 as amended and meeting eligibility criteria must submit form DD214 or other official military separation documentation that clearly indicates an honorable discharge from military service on or before the date filing closes.
- Extensive background checks will be conducted.
- This job classification is represented by Everett Municipal Employees Local 113, AFSCME.
Filing Opens: January 27, 2020 Filing Closes: February 21, 2020